Wednesday 24 September 2014

Growing Up and Growing Old

I seemed to have aged a little faster than I have liked. Don't get me wrong I am not old. I mean I am only 32, but that doesn't matter. What does matter is that I am no longer in my 20's.
I can no longer do crazy things without having to deal with consequences.
Crap, I partied until 4 last night, now I have to get through this work presentation and all day meetings. Or I just had to have that $700 piece of electronics now the mortgage payment will bounce.

Besides the number on your drivers license there are signs that say " yup I'm no longer 20 something". 
For me the first one came when I picked up an edition of Cosmo after not reading them for a period. I used to read them every month, they are the Bible for many woman. Now that I am in my 30's and married with a family I find the contents of Cosmo to be down right comical. 10 places he wants you to touch, what he really means when he says this and 15 sex moves to try. Umm yeah right, If I find time in my day of working, supper and kid duties to touch anything on anyone, it should be celebrated. 15 moves? How about how to do it in 15 seconds while Dora is on. Silly Cosmo. I got further away from my 20's when I bought my first Better Homes and Garden.

Drinking is no longer a game. Once drinking games were a must, what else was the point of drinking. When you get older it becomes more about enjoying what you are drinking and enjoying the social time with another adult human being. Last year was another "ah ha" moment whe we returned a drinking game given to us for Christmas and bought a butter dish. My husband said "I can't believe we just did that." I could, I needed a butter dish.

It's not all bad, you don't just "get old" you grow up. You know who you are and what you want to be, you become more comfortable with yourself. People tend to treat you with more respect like you actually have something to contribute to society.

But I still have that little glimmer of hope at the liquor store check out. " Please ID me...."
Just because I like being in my 30's doesn't me I want to look like I am! 

No comments:

Post a Comment